Most Active Stories
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- McCracken County School District Tests for Talent
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Abramson Pushes for Tax Reform & Clarifies Future Which Doesn't Include Murray State Presidency
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Mon March 16, 2009
Testing System Overhaul Signed
By Angela Hatton
Frankfort, KY – Governor Steve Beshear says he'll sign legislation to reshape Kentucky's school accountability testing system. His signature means the end of the decade-old CATS program. Beshear has some concerns about the testing system the state will use during the transition to new, permanent exams. But he says the benefits of the legislation "far outweigh" those concerns. Beshear says the measure will take Kentucky to a "new level of accountability" in education. The accountability system was a key facet of the watershed 1990 Kentucky Education Reform Act.