Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Mon September 10, 2012
Tenn.prison stays shorter than most states
A new study shows Tennessee prisoners serve some of the shortest terms in the nation. A report by the Pew Center on the States found that on average a Tennessee prison sentence lasts just under 2 years. That's about a year shorter than the national average.
Prosecutor Torry Johnson says the state is ahead of others by enacting alternative punishments and probation guidelines that help reduce and better control prison populations. State Department of Corrections officials point out while offenders are serving less time for property and drug crimes, prison time has increased by 41 percent for violent crimes.