Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
2012 Tennessee General Assembly
Thu April 26, 2012
Tennessee Works Act Passes Senate
A proposal to help Tennesseans get off unemployment and find a job has passed the state Senate. The "Tennessee Works Act" passed unanimously yesterday. The companion bill is awaiting a vote in the House Finance Committee. The bill creates a pilot program to provide employers with grants to pay for training expenses for recently laid-off workers or those whose jobs have gone overseas. In order to continue receiving the grant funds, employers agree to hire some of the employees trained. Bill sponsor Democratic Senator Andy Berke says this is proof that Republicans and Democrats "can work together.”