Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
2013 TN General Assembly
Tue March 19, 2013
Tennessee House Strips Student IDs from Voting Bill
A Tennessee House committee has stripped student identification cards issued by public universities from a bill about photo IDs that can be used to vote. Tuesday's change comes less than a week after the full Senate passed the bill allowing student IDs 21-8. Republican Rep. Jeremy Durham of Franklin made the change, arguing that "there's a public policy good in making sure that the right people are voting."
Rep. Susan Lynn said she was sponsoring the House version of the bill on behalf of fellow Republican Sen. Bill Ketron. Lynn says Ketron is agreeable to the change though he supported the Senate plan.
The bill would also eliminate library cards as suitable IDs to vote.