Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
2012 Tennessee General Assembly
Tue April 24, 2012
Tennessee House GOP Rejects Gun Proposal
A member of the Tennessee House Republican caucus says his colleagues have rejected a floor vote on a contentious proposal to guarantee workers the right to store firearms in vehicles parked on company lots regardless of employers' wishes. The lawmaker spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity Monday because members agreed to keep the caucus’ internal deliberations secret. According to the legislator, the secret ballot was overwhelmingly against a vote on the gun bill. The bill is backed by the National Rifle Association but opposed by business groups on property rights grounds. The measure has cleared House committees but could get hung up in the committee that schedules bills for floor votes.