Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- Eggners Ferry Bridge - Tuesday Night (Dec 23) Closure Cancelled
2013 TN General Assembly
Wed April 3, 2013
Tennessee Bill Sealing Handgun Permit Records Moves to Senate
A proposal to seal Tennessee's handgun carry permit records from public scrutiny is headed for a full Senate vote.
The measure sponsored by Republican Sen. Ferrell Haile unanimously passed the Senate Judiciary Committee Tuesday. The companion bill passed 84 - 10 in the state House last month.
The bill blocking access to the entire database of handgun carry permit holders no longer includes loopholes for political or lobbying groups that was included in a previous version of the measure. It would still allow the media and the public to check whether individuals charged with felonies are permit holders by providing a legal document or other record, but it would not apply to misdemeanor charges like drunken driving.