Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Tue December 24, 2013
TDEC Awards $2.3 Million in Recycling Grants
The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation has awarded about $2.3 million in recycling grants. Commissioner Bob Martineau says the grants are meant to help reduce landfill waste in the state. Most of the money comes in the form of "Recycling Hub and Spoke Grants," which are used to expand regional facilities to collect, transport and process materials from several counties and municipalities.
The remaining grants are to be used to buy equipment for recycling programs. One of the larger grants include $300,000 for a tire shredder in Montgomery County.