Most Active Stories
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Film Tax Incentive Program Draws Production Company to Murray
- Against Residents’ Wishes 250-Year-Old Burr Oak Tree Cut Down On Lake Barkley Bridge Easement
- GOP Gubernatorial Candidates Attack Jack Conway For Not Defending Gay Marriage Ban
- Congressman Whitfield Calls House Ethics Allegations "Absurd"
Thu December 6, 2012
Tax Reform Panel to Make Recommendations to Beshear
The Blue Ribbon Commission on Tax Reform meets today to share its recommendations with Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear. Beshear appointed the commission earlier this year to suggest ways to simplify the tax code and generate enough revenue to meet state needs and carry Kentuckians through the recession.
The commission is going to assess the Commonwealth’s individual income tax to see if it needs changes. It has already proposed raising the cigarette tax to one dollar per pack from 60 cents and has ruled out a 6 percent tax on groceries that would have generated 500 million dollars a year.