Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- Eggners Ferry Bridge - Tuesday Night (Dec 23) Closure Cancelled
Thu December 6, 2012
Tax Reform Panel to Make Recommendations to Beshear
The Blue Ribbon Commission on Tax Reform meets today to share its recommendations with Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear. Beshear appointed the commission earlier this year to suggest ways to simplify the tax code and generate enough revenue to meet state needs and carry Kentuckians through the recession.
The commission is going to assess the Commonwealth’s individual income tax to see if it needs changes. It has already proposed raising the cigarette tax to one dollar per pack from 60 cents and has ruled out a 6 percent tax on groceries that would have generated 500 million dollars a year.