Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Fri August 28, 2009
Tanner Hosts Town Hall
By Angela Hatton
Nashville, TN – Tanner, a self-described Blue Dog Democrat, doubts a health care bill will be ready by the end of the year. The congressman cites the number of versions of the bill, three in the House and one in the Senate. He believes the recent health care debate is only the beginning of the process.
"What I have found in my years of public service is for a change in public policy to be successful, there has to be a critical mass of public support," Tanner said. "It doesn't have to be overwhelming, but it has to be enough that people will accept it."
During today's telephone town hall, about half of residents voiced favorable opinions toward a public option and about half spoke against it. Tanner acknowledged the issue's importance, but says the legislature needs to work to balance the humane side with the economic side. Middle and West Tennesseans still have a chance to voice their opinions at another Telephone Town Hall Monday at 6:40 PM.