Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Wed March 11, 2009
Tanner co-sponsors postal bill
By Carrie Pond
Washington, D.C – Tennessee's 8th District U.S. representative John Tanner is co-sponsoring legislation that would allow military families to send packages for free to men and women serving in the Armed Forces. Tanner says the "Home Front to Heroes Postal Benefits Act" will give members of the Armed Forces serving in combat operations a free monthly postal benefit. The soldiers can then transfer the benefit to their loved ones, who can send a letter or package at no cost.
"Military families in Tennessee and across the country are making great sacrifices in service to the Armed Forces. We want to give them every opportunity to communicate easily with their loved ones while they are deployed."
Tanner says those in the Armed Forces could also donate their vouchers to charitable organizations. The bill is currently under review by the House Armed Services Committee.