Most Active Stories
- Public-Private Project to Bring "I-Way" Statewide by 2017
- Eggners Ferry Bridge - Tuesday Night (Dec 23) Closure Cancelled
- Rose Sets Focus on Sewer Project, City Hall, Downtown for His First Few Weeks as Murray Mayor
- LBL Scenery Management Plan May See Revisions In Response to Public Concerns
- Kentucky Regulators OK State’s First Utility-Scale Solar Array
Fri April 2, 2010
The Swell Season On World Cafe
After working together on the soundtrack for the 2005 film Beauty In Trouble, Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova began collaborating and recording music under the name The Swell Season.
In 2007, the two starred and provided the soundtrack for the low-budget Irish indie film Once, which went on to become one of the most successful independent movies of 2007. Once also featured "Falling Slowly," for which Hansard and Marketa won an Academy Award for Best Original Song. That success ultimately led to a sold out world tour for the duo.
Transformed from undiscovered indie-film composers to stars with world-wide acclaim, the duo has since embarked on a new Swell Season project, Strict Joy. Recently released on Anti-Records, the album features a number of renowned musicians and demonstrates the winning combination of Hansard's singer-songwriter style and Irglova's classically trained piano and vocals.
This segment originally ran Dec. 11, 2009.