Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Ky. Road Plan Includes $368M for Jackson Purchase
Fri April 2, 2010
The Swell Season On World Cafe
After working together on the soundtrack for the 2005 film Beauty In Trouble, Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova began collaborating and recording music under the name The Swell Season.
In 2007, the two starred and provided the soundtrack for the low-budget Irish indie film Once, which went on to become one of the most successful independent movies of 2007. Once also featured "Falling Slowly," for which Hansard and Marketa won an Academy Award for Best Original Song. That success ultimately led to a sold out world tour for the duo.
Transformed from undiscovered indie-film composers to stars with world-wide acclaim, the duo has since embarked on a new Swell Season project, Strict Joy. Recently released on Anti-Records, the album features a number of renowned musicians and demonstrates the winning combination of Hansard's singer-songwriter style and Irglova's classically trained piano and vocals.
This segment originally ran Dec. 11, 2009.