Most Active Stories
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
- Evidence On Marijuana's Health Effects Is Hazy At Best
Tue October 2, 2012
Supreme Court Refuses Illinois Appeal on Legislative Districts
The U.S. Supreme Court says it won’t hear an Illinois appeal on new legislative districts, giving no reason for its refusal. The state’s G.O.P lawmakers say they’re disappointed. Senate Minority Leader Christine Radogno and House Minority Leader Tom Cross allege the maps were gerrymandered to benefit Democrats and say the redistricting was unconstitutional. Lower courts have so far thrown out their complaints.
Illinois Republican Party Chairman Pat Brady says he wasn’t surprised when the Court refused the case because it can only take a small number of them. Democrats say the ruling shows the maps are fair. Political boundaries are drawn every decade and are based on U.S. Census data.