Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- Department of Education Says Midnight Meetings for Dropout Grants Unnecessary
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- TVA Eyes Closing Power Units at Shawnee Fossil Plant, Other Coal Facilities
- Boating Accident on Kentucky Lake Kills Fisherman
Fri June 29, 2012
Summer Heat Prompts Churchill Downs to Revise Racing Schedule
The heat wave gripping the area has forced Churchill Downs to revise its weekend live racing schedule.
Spokesman Darren Rogers says with highs around the 100 degree mark in the forecast for several days, the Friday through Sunday race cards won’t begin until 6:30pm. Night racing was already scheduled to being at 6:00pm on Saturday. Rogers says the delayed start will allow spectators and thoroughbreds to avoid the hottest part of the day. He says,
"Horses are a lot like humans, where you give them extra electrolytes and keep them hydrated. We hope to keep the fans hydrated as well. Levy Restaurants plans to have a lot of water around the facility."
Yesterday’s racing card was cancelled due to the extreme heat. The Churchill Downs spring meet ends Sunday.