Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Thu March 15, 2012
Student Death on Campus
A Murray State University student fell to his death at approximately 9:25 a.m. today in the Doyle Fine Arts Center on campus. The student has been identified as Jacob Derting, 20, of Bardstown Kentucky. An investigation is being conducted by the Murray State University Police and the Calloway County Coroner’s office. The initial investigation indicates that the incident was an apparent suicide.
All classes at Murray State have been cancelled for the remainder of the day.
“We are devastated by the news,” says Murray State University President Randy Dunn. ”We are a tight knit campus family and this impacts us all. I encourage students, faculty, and staff to utilize the campus resources available. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family.”
The Murray State University Counseling and Testing Center and Four Rivers Behavioral Health are facilitating a gathering of interested students, faculty and staff affected by the tragic death this morning on campus. The meeting will be held in the Curris Center Barkley Room beginning at 7:30 p.m. An additional session following will focus on helping faculty and staff address issues students may be facing.
If you or someone you know needs to contact the Counseling and Testing Center or MSU Psychological Center after 4:30 p.m. please call Public Safety at 809 -2222.