Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Ky. Road Plan Includes $368M for Jackson Purchase
Tue June 16, 2009
Stimulus Jobs for Area Youth
By Jacque Day
Purchase and Pennyrile – As of Monday, 322 young people are working throughout 17 counties in the Purchase and Pennyrile areas as part of the Summer Works Program. The funding comes from nearly $2 million in economic stimulus dollars. Eligible workers must be between 18 to 24 year old. The jobs are in various sectors including government agencies, schools, nursing homes and recycling centers. Rana Sullivan with the Purchase Area Development District says this program provides a much needed service.
"As far as the region goes we're getting people out there working that haven't been able to find jobs. And for the age group, $8 per hour seems to be pretty good for them. So we're hoping they'll go back out into their communities in the Purchase Area and stimulate the economy."
As many as 250 more slots are still available for youth workers. Workers' wages come from the project, at no cost to participating businesses. The project runs from June through September 15. Hiring is expected to go into July.
Purchase Area Development District