Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Tue April 21, 2009
Steel Mill Lays off 28
By Carrie Pond
Calvert City, KY – After cutting 26 jobs in January, Calvert City-based Gerdau Ameristeel will lay off another 5 percent of its employees. The Paducah Sun reports the steel mill begins reducing its workforce by 28 starting Friday. The employees were a part of a local chapter of the United Steelworkers. The cuts leave 101 USW members at the plant. The workers have 24-month callback rights, but would lose that privilege if they accept severance packages.