Most Active Stories
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
- Commentary: Preventing Gun Violence with "Magical Thinking"
- Davies Begins Work as Murray State's 13th President
- Kentucky Residents May Soon Need More Than a Driver's License to Get Into Some Federal Buildings
Wed June 24, 2009
State Legislature Close to Finalizing Bills
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – The Kentucky House and Senate are preparing to take final action on bills addressing the budget, bridge financing and economic incentives. This morning, House and Senate conferees signed-off on agreements reached on those issues. Senate President David Williams says the economic incentives bill exempts one race day in Kentucky from the pari-mutuel tax.
"What this does, is it exempts on Breeders Cup day - and Breeders Cup would be the only event that would qualify. It's would be a two-day event. This is an incentive to try to get the Breeders Cup to come back to Kentucky."
The bill also exempts active duty military personnel from state income taxes, effective January 1, 2010. Once both houses have approved all pending legislation, the special session will conclude.