Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Thu July 2, 2009
State Audits Kentucky Agencies
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – State audits have been ordered for the Kentucky Association of Counties and the Kentucky League of Cities. State Auditor Crit Luallen says she's alarmed at media reports of alleged profligate spending by top officials at the publicly funded, non-profit agencies.
"We've written a letter to each board chair laying out our legal rationale for our ability and authority to audit these organizations and we clearly believe that they should be held accountable to the public."
Luallen says the complex audits could take several months to complete. They follow investigations of each agency by the Lexington Herald-Leader that raised questions about travel expenses, credit card use and reimbursements. The agency boards are already taking steps to address the concerns.