Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Both Lanes of I-24 Reopened, Oregon Man Charged with 'Use of Weapon of Mass Destruction'
- Calloway County High School Students Request a Gay-Straight Alliance
- UPDATE: Officials Release Identity of Murray Man Found Deceased in Home
- [Update: Verizon All Clear] Widespread AT&T, Verizon Outages Reported in Ky. and Tenn.
- Monroe Co. Judge-Executive Among Republicans Supporting Democrat Jack Conway
Fri September 14, 2012
Southern Illinois Tourism Office Opens
A tourism office in Southern Illinois has reopened two years after it was shut down by state budget cuts. The Rend Lake South Tourism Information Center will operate every day except Tuesday and Wednesday. Staff will help visitors with travel information, hotel reservations and other services to boost tourism.The state's economic development agency estimates the center will provide a $2.9 million boost to the local economy. Money to run the center comes from a state hotel tax.This makes the 11th tourism center to reopen. Three remain closed.The Rend Lake tourism center is just off Interstate 57, halfway between Mount Vernon and Benton.