Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
Wed May 23, 2012
SIUC Coal Research Center Interim Head Takes Permanent Position
The interim director of the Southern Illinois University Carbondale Coal Research Center is now taking on the job permanently.
Tomasz Wiltowski has been leading the center since September after the retirement of longtime leader John Mead. The native of Poland sees a bright future for coal. Wiltowski says there is no other choice since best estimations show renewable fuel providing only about 25% of the country’s energy needs. He adds through excellent work and collaborations with other coal research institutions, the SIU-C center can enhance its reputations as a global leader in the industry.