Most Active Stories
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
Fri February 13, 2009
SIU Warns Campus of Possible Layoffs
By Casey Northcutt
Carbondale, IL – Southern Illinois University President Glenn Poshard announced yesterday the university could face layoffs and a hiring freeze during the next fiscal year. SIU Spokesman Rod Sievers says future state appropriations will determine if cuts will be made. This is the seventh year in a row in which Illinois has experienced declining or stagnant revenues for higher education. Sievers says SIU could possibly survive the year without job cuts, but if cutbacks continue, the school could be forced to consider layoffs and tuition increases.