Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Former Kentucky Lawmaker John Arnold Cleared of Ethics Charges
- Mid-Continent University "Doing Everything They Can To Stay Open"
Fri February 13, 2009
SIU Warns Campus of Possible Layoffs
By Casey Northcutt
Carbondale, IL – Southern Illinois University President Glenn Poshard announced yesterday the university could face layoffs and a hiring freeze during the next fiscal year. SIU Spokesman Rod Sievers says future state appropriations will determine if cuts will be made. This is the seventh year in a row in which Illinois has experienced declining or stagnant revenues for higher education. Sievers says SIU could possibly survive the year without job cuts, but if cutbacks continue, the school could be forced to consider layoffs and tuition increases.