Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Mon September 2, 2013
SIU President: Lobbyists in Capitol Needed Expense
The president of Southern Illinois University is defending more than $2 million spent on lobbyists in Springfield in the past dozen years.
President Glenn Poshard says lobbyists are necessary to keep track of the thousands of pieces of legislation that go before lawmakers in the Capitol each year.
SIU, with campuses in Carbondale and Edwardsville, and medical and dental schools, spent just under $2.2 million since 2000.
The former state senator and U.S. Congressman says the university has a $900 million-a-year budget and its staff often testifies on legislation in legislative committees.
He says lobbyists procured a million dollars in funding for cancer research and restored another million for corn-to-ethanol research at SIU Edwardsville.