Most Active Stories
- Forest Service at LBL Cancels Controversial Pisgah Bay Project As Proposed
- Murray Police Respond to WATCH Center; 1 Man Dead from Believed Self-Inflicted Gun Shot
- Kentucky Legislators Grill Cabinet Officials for Not Disclosing Fraud-Comitting WIC Vendors
- Rand Paul Is Skipping Fancy Farm and Why That Matters
- UK Officials Propose $16 Million Dollar Expansion at Princeton Research Center
Mon September 2, 2013
SIU President: Lobbyists in Capitol Needed Expense
The president of Southern Illinois University is defending more than $2 million spent on lobbyists in Springfield in the past dozen years.
President Glenn Poshard says lobbyists are necessary to keep track of the thousands of pieces of legislation that go before lawmakers in the Capitol each year.
SIU, with campuses in Carbondale and Edwardsville, and medical and dental schools, spent just under $2.2 million since 2000.
The former state senator and U.S. Congressman says the university has a $900 million-a-year budget and its staff often testifies on legislation in legislative committees.
He says lobbyists procured a million dollars in funding for cancer research and restored another million for corn-to-ethanol research at SIU Edwardsville.