Most Active Stories
- Revised Forecast Ups Ice Accumulation in TN Border Counties
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- 3 Educators Selected For KY Teacher Hall of Fame
Mon September 2, 2013
SIU President: Lobbyists in Capitol Needed Expense
The president of Southern Illinois University is defending more than $2 million spent on lobbyists in Springfield in the past dozen years.
President Glenn Poshard says lobbyists are necessary to keep track of the thousands of pieces of legislation that go before lawmakers in the Capitol each year.
SIU, with campuses in Carbondale and Edwardsville, and medical and dental schools, spent just under $2.2 million since 2000.
The former state senator and U.S. Congressman says the university has a $900 million-a-year budget and its staff often testifies on legislation in legislative committees.
He says lobbyists procured a million dollars in funding for cancer research and restored another million for corn-to-ethanol research at SIU Edwardsville.