Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Tue February 2, 2010
SIU Carbondale reports low numbers
By Rebecca Feldhaus/AP
Carbondale, IL – Spring enrollment numbers are down again at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale. The total number of students at the university's flagship campus stands at a little over 19-thousand. That's a decrease of 255 students over this time last year. That's a 1.3 percent drop. SIU's Graduate School saw a slight increase in its enrollment, up 34 students over a year ago. And international student enrollment is up 4.2 percent. Chancellor Sam Goldman and other administrators say the trend of losing juniors and seniors continues, while strong and steady numbers are holding in the freshman and sophomore classes.