Most Active Stories
- Owensboro Airport Expanding
- Paducah’s Mail Processing Facility Set to Close, Could Lead to Longer Delivery Times
- Kentucky Lawmakers Attack Climate Change Science In Discussion on Carbon Regulations
- Lawmakers Skewer EPA, Obama Over Coal Regulations
- Conway: Americans for Prosperity Plan to 'Buy' Ky. House
Wed May 29, 2013
Shawnee Fossil Plant Not Affected by USEC Shutdown
The United States Enrichment Corporation’s shutdown at the Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant will not affect the Tennessee Valley Authority’s Shawnee Fossil Plant near Paducah.
TVA Spokesman Scott Brooks said that Shawnee, like all of TVA’s fossil plants, provides power to the general grid and characterizes USEC’s closing as the loss of one customer.
USEC represented about 5 percent of TVA’s total operating revenues of $11.2 billion for 2012.
Shawnee still faces an uncertain future as TVA plans to close 18 of 59 fossil units region-wide by 2018.