Most Active Stories
- US 641 South Widening Receives Top Priority on Purchase Area Projects List
- UPDATE: Murray State's Provost Is Stepping Down to Be 'On Loan' to CPE
- Kentucky Primary Election Live Blog: James Comer to Seek a Recanvass
- James Comer’s Quest To ‘Pass A Bold Agenda’ Gets Bumpy
- How Could Kentucky Farmers Use Drones?
Wed May 29, 2013
Shawnee Fossil Plant Not Affected by USEC Shutdown
The United States Enrichment Corporation’s shutdown at the Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant will not affect the Tennessee Valley Authority’s Shawnee Fossil Plant near Paducah.
TVA Spokesman Scott Brooks said that Shawnee, like all of TVA’s fossil plants, provides power to the general grid and characterizes USEC’s closing as the loss of one customer.
USEC represented about 5 percent of TVA’s total operating revenues of $11.2 billion for 2012.
Shawnee still faces an uncertain future as TVA plans to close 18 of 59 fossil units region-wide by 2018.