Most Active Stories
- Snowfall Predictions Grow; Icing Expected in Southern Western Kentucky Overnight
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- 3 Educators Selected For KY Teacher Hall of Fame
Wed May 29, 2013
Shawnee Fossil Plant Not Affected by USEC Shutdown
The United States Enrichment Corporation’s shutdown at the Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant will not affect the Tennessee Valley Authority’s Shawnee Fossil Plant near Paducah.
TVA Spokesman Scott Brooks said that Shawnee, like all of TVA’s fossil plants, provides power to the general grid and characterizes USEC’s closing as the loss of one customer.
USEC represented about 5 percent of TVA’s total operating revenues of $11.2 billion for 2012.
Shawnee still faces an uncertain future as TVA plans to close 18 of 59 fossil units region-wide by 2018.