Most Active Stories
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- Commentary: Preventing Gun Violence with "Magical Thinking"
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
- Davies Begins Work as Murray State's 13th President
- Kentucky Residents May Soon Need More Than a Driver's License to Get Into Some Federal Buildings
Thu February 26, 2009
Sgt. Lemuel Graham, American Soldier
By Jacque Day
Western Kentucky – Kentucky Veterans Cemetery West in Hopkinsville is the first of its kind in this region. Since its dedication in March 2004, nearly five years ago, more than a thousand veterans, spouses, and dependents including 11 active duty soldiers killed in Iraq have come to a final rest at the cemetery's grounds. Jacque Day highlights the life of the first soldier buried at the military cemetery, an African American Mess Sergeant who enlisted in the US Army during segregation.