Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Thu February 26, 2009
Sgt. Lemuel Graham, American Soldier
By Jacque Day
Western Kentucky – Kentucky Veterans Cemetery West in Hopkinsville is the first of its kind in this region. Since its dedication in March 2004, nearly five years ago, more than a thousand veterans, spouses, and dependents including 11 active duty soldiers killed in Iraq have come to a final rest at the cemetery's grounds. Jacque Day highlights the life of the first soldier buried at the military cemetery, an African American Mess Sergeant who enlisted in the US Army during segregation.
This report was part of a series by Jacque Day titled "The Difference They Made." The Associated Press, Kentucky awarded the series First Place for Best Special Series-Documentary, 2009.