Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Wed January 7, 2009
Settlement Reached with Tobacco Company
By Carrie Pond
Frankfort, KY – Kentucky, Illinois and Tennessee are 3 of the 42 states to reach a settlement with the Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company. Kentucky Attorney General Jack Conway says the company violated the tobacco Master Settlement Agreement(MSA) by distributing decorative tin signs to consumers that featured its "Natural American Spirit" cigarettes brand name. Distribution of merchandise bearing the brand name of cigarette companies violates the MSA. That case imposed significant marketing and advertising restrictions on tobacco manufacturers. According to the settlement announced today, Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company agrees not to distribute brand name merchandise in the future and to pay a penalty of $250 for every future violation of the agreement.