Most Active Stories
- US 641 South Widening Receives Top Priority on Purchase Area Projects List
- UPDATE: Murray State's Provost Is Stepping Down to Be 'On Loan' to CPE
- Kentucky Primary Election Live Blog: James Comer to Seek a Recanvass
- James Comer’s Quest To ‘Pass A Bold Agenda’ Gets Bumpy
- How Could Kentucky Farmers Use Drones?
Thu April 18, 2013
Senator 'Disappointed' by Gun Proposal Failure
U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk says he's disappointed that the Senate has rejected expanded background checks for gun purchases.
Kirk was one of four Republicans to vote in favor of the proposal, which failed Wednesday, 56-46. Five Senate Democrats voted against the measure.
Earlier in the day the Illinois senator met with families of victims of last year's Connecticut school shooting. Kirk says he wanted to meet with the families to hear their stories firsthand and learn more about the victims.
Twenty elementary school children and six staff members were killed in the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. Democratic U.S. Senator Dick Durbin also supported the legislation.