Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Thu April 18, 2013
Senator 'Disappointed' by Gun Proposal Failure
U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk says he's disappointed that the Senate has rejected expanded background checks for gun purchases.
Kirk was one of four Republicans to vote in favor of the proposal, which failed Wednesday, 56-46. Five Senate Democrats voted against the measure.
Earlier in the day the Illinois senator met with families of victims of last year's Connecticut school shooting. Kirk says he wanted to meet with the families to hear their stories firsthand and learn more about the victims.
Twenty elementary school children and six staff members were killed in the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. Democratic U.S. Senator Dick Durbin also supported the legislation.