Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Thu April 18, 2013
Senator 'Disappointed' by Gun Proposal Failure
U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk says he's disappointed that the Senate has rejected expanded background checks for gun purchases.
Kirk was one of four Republicans to vote in favor of the proposal, which failed Wednesday, 56-46. Five Senate Democrats voted against the measure.
Earlier in the day the Illinois senator met with families of victims of last year's Connecticut school shooting. Kirk says he wanted to meet with the families to hear their stories firsthand and learn more about the victims.
Twenty elementary school children and six staff members were killed in the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. Democratic U.S. Senator Dick Durbin also supported the legislation.