Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Tue March 23, 2010
Senate Budget Passed
Frankfort, KY – The president of the Kentucky senate calls the spending plan approved Monday night in his chamber a good solid budget.' The senate budget is significantly different from a budget okayed by the house. David Williams says Kentucky lawmakers find themselves with a plan that other states might envy.
"I don't think that there is any state in the union that would not trade places with the commonwealth of Kentucky as far as our budget and the level of services we have been able to sustain madam president without increasing taxes."
There are no salary increases in the senate plan. It also cuts personal service contracts and reduces non-merit jobs. Members from both houses will next meet in a conference committee where they'll try to negotiate a compromise budget.