Most Active Stories
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Wed March 14, 2012
Sen Paul Opposes Alternative Energy Loan Program
US Senator Rand Paul says the federal energy department should stop its loan guarantee program for companies developing alternative energy products. The Kentucky Republican told Energy Secretary Steven Chu Tuesday some of the loans have gone to wealthy friends of President Obama and that raises questions about the whole program.
“My counseling and advice to you is ‘Let’s get out of this business. Let’s not be involved in this.’ Also, the thing is, by your involvement in this, it looks unseemly. I don’t question your character. You’re known for being an upright person from academia. But you’re overseeing something that doesn’t pass the smell test.”
Paul says Robert Kennedy junior was given a one-point-eight billion dollar loan under the program. The senator made his comments during a hearing of the energy and natural resources committee.