Most Active Stories
- City of Murray Eliminates City Administrator Position
- Workers Recovering after Explosion at Moonshine Distillery
- Kentucky Revenues Up Amid Greater Demands in Next Budget
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Man Benefits From Pump Treatment for Parkinson's Disease
Fri March 28, 2014
Semi Dumps Lumber on W-K Parkway as Accident Ceases Traffic for Hours
An early morning crash on the Western Kentucky Parkway near the Muhlenberg and Ohio County line closed both the east and west bound lanes to traffic.
KYTC spokesman Keith Todd says a truck loaded with plywood crashed into a bridge abutment near mile-marker 65. The driver is reported to have only minor injuries.
Drivers have been detouring around the site via U-S 62 between Beaver Dam and Central City.
The crash took out an extended section of guardrail in the median and several sections of handrail on the Green River Bridge that will have to be removed before traffic is restored. KYTC personnel have been working all night to clear the roadway of debris.
A KYTC bridge inspector has carefully checked the bridge structure. While there is some damage to the concrete at the bridge end that will require repair, it is cosmetic in nature.
The truck was torn in several pieces creating a challenge for the tow truck recovery crew.