Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Mon August 31, 2009
School Nursing Staffs Need Boost
Frankfort, KY – School nurses may be on the front lines in the fight against swine flu later this year, but they are in need of reinforcements in Kentucky. Kentucky schools are falling short of industry and governmental standards for nurse staffing levels.
Kentucky has one school nurse for every 1,877 students, according to a 2007 survey by the National Association of School Nurses. Nationally, each school nurse cares for 1,151 students on average. Schools should have one nurse for every 750 students, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
In Kentucky, nurses must complete a licensure program through the state education department to officially use the "school nurse" title.