Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- MSU President Talks Tobacco Ban, University Marketing Shifts
Mon May 28, 2012
Salvage Plan in Process for Sinking Crane, Barges
Traffic remains closed along the Tennessee River at the Ledbetter construction site as authorities develop a salvage plan for a sinking construction barge crane.
However, it remains safely secured to the shore on the Livingston County side of the Tennessee River. Booms have been placed around the barge and crane to catch any potential pollution that might leak into the river should the barge settled lower than expected.
One of the contractor’s employees found the barges sinking yesterday while checking on the equipment over the holiday weekend. Kentucky Transportation Cabinet spokesman Keith Todd says the structures haven’t settled to the bottom of the river yet, and that further information will be available when crews return to work tomorrow.