Most Active Stories
- What Kentucky Teachers Think Of Their Schools, Education Department Releases Survey Results
- MSU's Presidential Search Committee Plans to Use National Search Firm
- MSU Board of Regents Approves Dr. Tim Miller as Interim President
- Kentucky to Raise Gas Tax in July
- Survey Finds McConnell Leading Over Democratic Challengers
Wed October 3, 2012
Salvage Expert at Site of LST 325 Grounding
A salvage expert is surveying the site of a grounded World War II-era ship in Lake Barkley. U. S. Coast Guard Spokesman Lieutenant Dan McQuate says a salvage plan could be submitted today, depending on how complicated moving the ship will be. The U.S.S. LST 325 ran aground in shallow water Monday night after it left the navigation channel for unknown reasons.
The ship landed troops on the beaches of Normandy during World War II, and is a now a tourist attraction based in Evansville, Ind.