Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Fri June 27, 2014
Safiah Hassan Demystifies the Hijab, Talks Ramadan Traditions
As devout Muslims young and old across the country begin a month of fasting today with the start of Ramadan, a 19-year-old Muslim woman from Murray is working to spark discussions about her faith.
Safiah Hassan is starting a campaign called Unveiling the Hijab that aims to break stereotypes about women who wear the headscarf and portray Muslim women as diverse and empowered. (Her campaign is on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter too.)
In this interview she also talks about the controversial Mipsterz video and what it was like growing up in western Kentucky as a Muslim woman.
Hassan is currently a student at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee.