Most Active Stories
- US 641 South Widening Receives Top Priority on Purchase Area Projects List
- UPDATE: Murray State's Provost Is Stepping Down to Be 'On Loan' to CPE
- Kentucky Primary Election Live Blog: James Comer to Seek a Recanvass
- James Comer’s Quest To ‘Pass A Bold Agenda’ Gets Bumpy
- How Could Kentucky Farmers Use Drones?
Fri June 27, 2014
Safiah Hassan Demystifies the Hijab, Talks Ramadan Traditions
As devout Muslims young and old across the country begin a month of fasting today with the start of Ramadan, a 19-year-old Muslim woman from Murray is working to spark discussions about her faith.
Safiah Hassan is starting a campaign called Unveiling the Hijab that aims to break stereotypes about women who wear the headscarf and portray Muslim women as diverse and empowered. (Her campaign is on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter too.)
In this interview she also talks about the controversial Mipsterz video and what it was like growing up in western Kentucky as a Muslim woman.
Hassan is currently a student at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee.