Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Fri June 27, 2014
Safiah Hassan Demystifies the Hijab, Talks Ramadan Traditions
As devout Muslims young and old across the country begin a month of fasting today with the start of Ramadan, a 19-year-old Muslim woman from Murray is working to spark discussions about her faith.
Safiah Hassan is starting a campaign called Unveiling the Hijab that aims to break stereotypes about women who wear the headscarf and portray Muslim women as diverse and empowered. (Her campaign is on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter too.)
In this interview she also talks about the controversial Mipsterz video and what it was like growing up in western Kentucky as a Muslim woman.
Hassan is currently a student at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee.