Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Wed November 3, 2010
Rhoads Bests Whitfield
By Angela Hatton
Madisonville, KY – Incumbent State Senator Jerry Rhoads says he's ready to focus on jobs and western Kentucky coal after winning a tough race in last night's general election. Democrat Rhoads won a third term against Republican challenger Jack Whitfield in the state's sixth district. Unofficial results put Rhoads on top by six percentage points. The Senator says the race was difficult in a year that saw a wave of anti-incumbent sentiment. For his part, Whitfield says he's proud of the campaign he ran. He hopes his focus the need to grow industry will have a lasting effect on Hopkins, Ohio, and Muhlenberg counties.