Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Wed August 12, 2009
Representative Calls for Autism Coverage
By Gabe Bullard
Louisville, KY – A Kentucky state representative wants to require insurance companies to provide additional benefits for families with autistic children. Representative Scott Brinkman says he will introduce legislation to that effect in next session of the General Assembly.
"The whole goal is to try to help these children maximize their skills so that as they age out of the school system and become adults, the supports they need are less pronounced and they're more self-sufficient."
The legislation would mandate the additional coverage and Brinkman estimates it wouldn't raise anyone's rates by more than one or two dollars. Brinkman made his comments after a Louisville Forum meeting on autism.