Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Skies Clear for Sunny Saturday, Be Careful on Roads
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Mon August 31, 2009
Report: Number of Uninsured Tennesseans Increases
By Chris Taylor
Nashville, TN – A recent report shows an increase in the number of Tennessee adults without health insurance in the past year, but uninsured children declined. The study on TennCare - the state's expanded Medicaid program - by the University of Tennessee Center for Business and Economic Research found that there are about 6 hundred and 17 thousand uninsured Tennesseans, about 10% of the state's population. That's up from just over 566,000, or 9.3% of the population, in 2008.
The total number of uninsured includes an estimated 55,000 children and youth under 18 years old who lack health insurance coverage, down from 72,000 last year.