Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Illinois Civil Unions
Fri June 1, 2012
Report Highlights Troubles for Illinois Same-Sex Couples
An advocacy group says many same-sex Illinois couples in civil unions have trouble filing joint taxes, getting health benefits for their partners and adopting.
The Equality Illinois report comes a year after the state enacted civil unions, granting same-sex couples many of the same rights and protections as marriage but not all. The report says more than 80% of couples reported difficulty in filing joint taxes and more than half of those who responded had trouble getting health insurance for partners. Others reported issues with visiting civil union partners in the hospital.