Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- Boating Accident on Kentucky Lake Kills Fisherman
- MSU's Dunn Selected to be Youngstown State's Next President
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- TVA Eyes Closing Power Units at Shawnee Fossil Plant, Other Coal Facilities
Thu January 24, 2013
Reidland Teacher Fired for Letter
The Reidland High School teacher who asked a student to write a letter expressing concerns over school safety to the editor of The Paducah Sun has been fired. Spanish teacher Shawnda Pacheco was let go last Friday.
According to the newspaper, the teacher says McCracken County Superintendent Nancy Waldrop told her the termination was a direct result of the letter Pacheco and a student sent to The Paducah Sun in mid-December. Pacheco wanted to air concerns about school safety and the administration’s lack of response. The letter caused officials to shut down Reidland High December 18th so law enforcement and school administrators could investigate. McCracken County Schools Director of Public Relations Molly Goodman would not comment on personnel matters.