Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Thu January 24, 2013
Reidland Teacher Fired for Letter
The Reidland High School teacher who asked a student to write a letter expressing concerns over school safety to the editor of The Paducah Sun has been fired. Spanish teacher Shawnda Pacheco was let go last Friday.
According to the newspaper, the teacher says McCracken County Superintendent Nancy Waldrop told her the termination was a direct result of the letter Pacheco and a student sent to The Paducah Sun in mid-December. Pacheco wanted to air concerns about school safety and the administration’s lack of response. The letter caused officials to shut down Reidland High December 18th so law enforcement and school administrators could investigate. McCracken County Schools Director of Public Relations Molly Goodman would not comment on personnel matters.