Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Tue April 9, 2013
Redhawks And Salukis Hope To Play Football At Busch Stadium
Busch Stadium in St. Louis may be filled with chants for the Redhawks and Salukis this fall. Southeast Missouri State University and Southern Illinois University hope to play the first football game ever at the new stadium.
The universities are still finalizing plans to play a football game in St. Louis on September 21.
Both Southeast and SIU have large alum populations in St. Louis. Southeast athletic director Mark Alnutt says that’s what makes SIU a good opponent at Busch Stadium.
“They have the most alums in term of any team we have on our schedule for the next couple years.” said Alnutt. “That includes Eastern Illinois, which would be the school after that. So from a proximity standpoint and a distance standpoint, it just made sense to be able to hold a game that would draw mutual interest from both the universities at that venue.”
Alnutt expects between 15,000 to 25,000 fans to show up for the game, which he thinks will be a good recruitment tool for the schools.
The plan should be finalized within the next two weeks.