Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Wed May 13, 2009
Rain Puts Lakes Over
By Angela Hatton
Gilbertsville, KY – Heavy rainfall has put Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake beyond their summer pool levels. Peak normal level is 359 feet, but Public Affairs Specials Denise Schmittou says the lakes are five and a half feet over that. Rain has put several boat ramps, back country areas, and camp grounds underwater. Closures include Turkey Bay, back country areas around Demumbers Bay, and Sugar Bay Campground. Wrangler's Campground opens on a limited basis today. Schmittou says officials remain hopeful most recreation areas will be open for Memorial Day weekend, but safety is always the main concern.