Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Thu August 1, 2013
Quinn To Sign Medical Marijuana Bill
Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn is expected to sign legislation later in the day that will make Illinois the 20th state to legalize medical marijuana. His remarks today at the University of Chicago will focus on providing relief to the seriously ill, including veterans. he Chicago Democrat will also tout Illinois' strict standards, which experts say are among the nation's toughest.
The measure outlines a four-year pilot program that requires patients and caregivers to undergo background checks and sets provisions for state-regulated dispensaries. The proposal says patients can be allowed up to 2.5 ounces at a time. Currently 19 other states and Washington D.C., allow medical marijuana.