Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- Eggners Ferry Bridge - Tuesday Night (Dec 23) Closure Cancelled
Thu August 1, 2013
Quinn To Sign Medical Marijuana Bill
Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn is expected to sign legislation later in the day that will make Illinois the 20th state to legalize medical marijuana. His remarks today at the University of Chicago will focus on providing relief to the seriously ill, including veterans. he Chicago Democrat will also tout Illinois' strict standards, which experts say are among the nation's toughest.
The measure outlines a four-year pilot program that requires patients and caregivers to undergo background checks and sets provisions for state-regulated dispensaries. The proposal says patients can be allowed up to 2.5 ounces at a time. Currently 19 other states and Washington D.C., allow medical marijuana.