Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Tue May 22, 2012
Quinn Says Lawmakers are Distracted by Gambling Expansion
Governor Pat Quinn says Illinois can't afford to have lawmakers distracted from crucial issues by more talk of gambling expansion. Quinn says leaders at the state Capitol sometimes "get distracted by shiny objects."
He says that can't happen now, when government pensions and health care both need major overhauls. Quinn is pushing plans to cut retirement benefits for government employees, reduce Medicaid services and raise the state cigarette tax. But some officials think a gambling expansion could ease the state's budget crisis. They want to add several casinos and install slot machines at horseracing tracks. Senate President John Cullerton also wants to explore Internet gambling.