Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Wed June 20, 2012
Quinn Moving Forward with Prison Closures
Illinois Governor Pat Quinn is moving forward with his plan to close several adult and juvenile prisons, even though legislators put money in the new state budget to keep them open.
The governor's office says he will close prisons in Dwight and Tamms, along with some halfway houses and two youth camps. Quinn's office did not explain his decision or make an official announcement. The Tamms prison is a "supermax" facility in southern Illinois for the state's most dangerous inmates. Dwight is a prison for women. Closing them will mean squeezing more inmates into the remaining prisons, which are already seriously overcrowded.