Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Skies Clear for Sunny Saturday, Be Careful on Roads
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Wed September 11, 2013
Quinn Halts Funding For Future IL Capitol Renovation
Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn has suspended funding for future renovations at the Capitol, a pricey project that's already caused embarrassment for financially-shaky Illinois and raised questions about how it was allowed. The Chicago Democrat told reporters yesterday that he's instructed his budget director to hold up appropriations for renovations that are yet to be done.
Sparking the outrage has been copper-plated wooden doors costing nearly $670,000 and more than $323,000 for chandeliers. Quinn blamed Capitol architect J. Richard Alsop and says he needs to be "reigned in" by the commission he reports to.