Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Ky. Road Plan Includes $368M for Jackson Purchase
Fri July 13, 2012
Prosecution Plays Tapes of KSP Interview with Jerry Wayne Walker Jr. at Trial in Benton
Prosecutors in the Jerry Wayne Walker Jr. trial played tapes yesterday of Walker’s interview with Kentucky State Police investigators in November 1998.
Walker faces charges stemming from the 1998 Murray State University Hester Hall dorm fire that killed student Michael Minger. The West Kentucky Star reports the tapes include questions about the handwriting on an anonymous note Walker claimed he found on his car. The note suggested student John Evlund should be looked at as a suspect. During the interview with KSP investigators, Walker admitted he had written the note, but maintained he had no idea who started the fire. Walker is charged with first-degree arson, second-degree manslaughter, first-degree assault and 14 counts of wanton endangerment. His first trial on other charges associated with the incident ended in a hung jury in 2001.