Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Tue November 18, 2008
Propulsys Annouces Further Layoffs
By Carrie Pond
Hopkinsville, KY – Propulsys, Incorporated announced Monday it will lay off another 60 employees at its Hopkinsville plant. The Kentucky New Era reports the cuts will take effect next month, and only 180 Hopkinsville workers will remain employed. Company President and CEO Rich Maddux says the recession has caused a downturn in the business's primary markets of construction and turf care. He says this is the fastest drop in sales the company has ever seen. This is the second round of layoffs this year. Maddux cited soaring material costs as cause for August's cut back. He says he hopes to re-hire employees when the economy improves. The company, which makes hydraulic motors, pumps, brakes, and accessories for lawn and construction equipment, has been in Hopkinsville since 1982.