Most Active Stories
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- Commentary: Preventing Gun Violence with "Magical Thinking"
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
- Davies Begins Work as Murray State's 13th President
- Kentucky Residents May Soon Need More Than a Driver's License to Get Into Some Federal Buildings
Fri February 5, 2010
Pro Sex-Ed Rally Held in Capitol
Frankfort, KY – Advocates for sex education in public schools rallied in Frankfort Thursday to push for legislation that would require schools teaching the subject to use a science-based curriculum. The rally was in support of House Bill 119 sponsored by Louisville Representative Mary Lou Marzian. She says the measure is needed to protect teens not only from teenage pregnancies but also from sexually transmitted diseases. Marzian's bill requires that a school teaching sex education must use age-appropriate, culturally sensitive and medically accurate information and not limit instruction to discussion of abstinence or contraception. The legislation, which is now in the House Education Committee, doesn't require schools to teach sex education.