Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Both Lanes of I-24 Reopened, Oregon Man Charged with 'Use of Weapon of Mass Destruction'
- Calloway County High School Students Request a Gay-Straight Alliance
- UPDATE: Officials Release Identity of Murray Man Found Deceased in Home
- [Update: Verizon All Clear] Widespread AT&T, Verizon Outages Reported in Ky. and Tenn.
- Monroe Co. Judge-Executive Among Republicans Supporting Democrat Jack Conway
Wed March 7, 2012
President Declares Kentucky a Disaster Area
President Barack Obama has declared a disaster area seven counties in eastern Kentucky, releasing federal funding for people affected by last week's tornadoes and severe storms. The White House and Governor Steve Beshear says damage surveys are continuing, and more counties may be designated. Assistance can include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses and other forms of recovery assistance. Governor Steve Beshear and Lieutenant Jerry Abramson will be traveling again today to visit the stricken locations. Tornadoes last Friday killed 22 people in Kentucky.